Monday, September 29, 2008

Scotland: The search for the Glasgow Pirate

Country number two: Scotland
Well on Friday night I stuck to my plan and actually stayed in for the night. I spent most of my time packing and reading (I finally finished Will in the World- my Shakespeare book). I also got to meet my roommates for the night, two boys from Germany who were also planning on going to Cork the next day! Quelle coincidence! So being the very nice German boys that they are (whose names I unfortunately forget), they offered me a ride to Cork.
So on Saturday I got up, had breakie, hauled my (heavy) bags into their car, then we did some mailings before heading off to Cork. Once in Cork we got pretty lost wandering dowtown trying to find hte tourism office (the boys are actually- gasp- worse at directions than I am! Ha). Once we got maps and directions we headed back to the car to drive to the neighbouring town of Blarney to see, you guessed it, the Blarney stone!
Blarney castle is this neat old castle with tons of gothic little stoen rooms and huge, huge grounds. We walked around the area for at least an hour, then went up to the castle to see the view and kiss the stone. Tart that I am, I kissed it twice! Now I definitely have the gift of gab (as if I didn't already!). Afer that I checked in at my hostel, said farwell to the German boys, and walked aroun Cork for a bit. Cork's a lovely city, really similar to Dublin. I had an early flight the next day so I tried to get to bed early, but in an 8 person room sleeping is quite hard.
Then on Sunday I got up bright and early, took the airport shuttle bus to the Cork airport and took a surprisingly quick plane from Ireland to Scotland. I arrived at the Prestwick ariport, just outside of Glasgow. Symon met me at the airport and we bussed it into the city. On the way in we passed farms and lots of sheep! Yay! Glasgow is a BEAUTIFUL city with tons of old buildings, some neat modern ones, and lots of sculptures and art galleries and such. We walked around the downtown core for a little bit, then went to Symon's place to drop off my stuff and meet his live-in girlfriend Susan, who I absolutely love and has the same freaking colour of hair as me!!! (Fushia). Also, when I was talking to Symon about the sights to be seen he told me about this cool pirate ship in Glasgow, and apparently there's a lad who dresses up in full pirate regalia and walks around the city! I MUST find this pirate man! Find him, and then become him. Yar!!
After that we took a train to the west-end of the city to meet up with one of Symon's friends. We walked around a bit of the west-end, hung out in his friend James' apartment, and had dinner at this amazing restaurant called "Loft" that's built in an old theatre, so cool! I also tried Scotland's own homemade and ridiculously over-sweet national soft drink: IRN BRU (aagghh!). Symon also made me get an IRN BRU and whiskey just to be really Scottish and also because he's a masocist!!! The absolute best part of the night though was after we came back from James' place very late after drinking, we went to this amazing old gothic cemetary called the "Necropolis" (like the book from Evil Dead) near Symon's place and walked around. It was so spooky and beautiful and amazing. I need to go there in the daylight though and scope out the tall, elaborate graves again.
Today's been spent mostly unpacking, grocery shopping, and drinking tea. But I hope to go buy a cell phone now because I really need to get one.

No comments: