Thursday, September 18, 2008

Everything in Ireland is made out of potatoes

Well, I'm in a new Country, so I'm using a new font. Exciting! I spent my last night in Canada at Sarah's place in Toronto with Sarah and Sean. Sarah decided to be lame and go to bed early, so I was forced to keep Sean awake until 5 am or so with my rambling excitement. Then due to excitement and robot-ness I woke up at about 8 am. I had my final Canadian meal (poutine, no joke) with Sean, got to see Sarah for a bit when she came back from school and have a tea with her, then Sean drove me to the airport. The first plane ride was from Toronto to New York, and it was in one of those really little planes that always crash in movies about rock-stars. The flight was on time, which is unusual, and my luggage and I had a lovely little lay-over in the NY airport. After that I took a connecting flight (6 hours) from NY to Dublin, however my luggage liked New York so much that it decided to spend an extra night there. And by that I mean the goddam airline forgot to put it on the next plane!!! Luckily it had nothing of importance, only all my clothes and toiletries. I'm supposed to be getting them today, which is good, because I'm still wearing the same clothes and am now covered in international filth.

I arrived at 7am here, which is 1pm there, which means I officially hadn't slept in a long-ass time. My little Irish friend Brid picked me up at the airport and took me to her place. She lives in Meath county, just outside of Dublin, surrounded by gorgeous moors, and castles, and old stone fencing, and holy shit do I ever want to stay here forever! When we got to Brid's, she figured I'd want to go to bed after long awake-ness and much plane-ridings. At that point I had to explain my robot nature and how I rarely require sleep to live. So instead she made me "waffles", which in Ireland are made of potatoe, which led me to conclude that everything in Ireland is made out of potatoe!
I was WAY too excited to try and sleep or anything, so we explored the local history. We toured a couple of super old churches, a really ancient burial and ritual ground, and saw a castle, but couldn't go in because people live there. I can't believe how much history there is in this place. Absolutely property here has some kind of gorgeous old ruin, or cascading natural beauty, or (usually) both. Everything is beautiful and everyone has the most delightful accents! This place totally makes Canada look like a jar of crap in comparison!
Brid lives here with her family and they've been awesomely hospitable with feeding me and housing me during my stay. (Brid just walked in the room and handed me tea; I love it here!) Also, her parents are from Northern Ireland and they talk like leprochauns!!! No joke! They have really thick leprochaun accents and it's HILARIOUS! Along with saturating myself in accents, I'm learning lots of Irish-isms, such as calling rain-boots "wellington boots" or "wellies" and calling jogging-pants "track-suit bottoms". Delightful! I also got to meet a couple of Brid's friends and we all went to the movies.

All in all I had an amazing first day, got to immediately take in a bunch of local colour, and totally kicked jet-lag in the face! So far I'm loving Ireland; now if only I could get my clothes back...

1 comment:

Button Soup said...

DENIS LEARY SAYS: There's a big boom in Irish culture right now. I was in Barnes & Noble the other day, and I saw a book entitled "Irish Cuisine" and I laughed my balls off, okay? Irish Cuisine? What are we famous for cuisine-wise? We put everything in a pot and we boil it for seventeen-and-a-half hours straight. Until you can eat it with a straw. SLUUUUURP..."Thanks, ma! Where's dessert? Okay, there it is." SLUUUUURP..."Thanks, ma!" That's now a cuisine, folks...that's penance, that's what that is. "Bless me Father, for I have sinned. I just blew Father O'Grady. What should I do?" "Eat your supper through a STRAW!" SLUUUUURP!

CHRIS SAYS: What, you ain't got a camera? Photos yo photos!