Saturday, September 20, 2008

Everything in Ireland is expensive!

Dear God is this country ever expensive! I have to keep reminding myself that euros are a lot more than dollars, because the prices are so high here it seems like it should be in dollars! Oh well, at least the money's really small and cute, or something.
So since I last wrote I've had two fabulous days here. On Thursday through my robot-ness and weird time-zone adjusting, I somehow managed to wake up at 5am and be unable to fall back asleep. Horrid! Then once the rest of the world was up, Brid and I took the bus to Dublin and spent the day walking around the city. Dublin is absolutely gorgeous, complete with amazing architecture, lots of cool statues, those neat double-stacked busses, and this really great door! All day Brid was like, "oh man, there's this door that you have to see, it's grand" and it was grand, but it was really funny to get super excited over a door. I got to see Trinity College where Brid goes to school and the Book of Kells, which is this ridiculously old scripture book. The best thing in the college was "The Long Room" which is one of the libraries there and it holds all of the school's oldest books and a bunch of neat busts of famous Irish people. It's also the world's biggest tease because you can't get near the books, let alone read them, and I was totally jonesing for some ye olde reading!
We also went to a fab art gallery and saw a ton of paintings from the 18th century to present day (mostly old though). They were doing some kind of photo shoot with some Irish minister or someone of importance and had a bunch of the gallery closed off. However, they didn't do a very good job of sectioning it off, because Brid and I accidentally wandered into ares we weren't supposed to a few times and security started to get really pissed and eventually they started warning each other about us on their walkie-talkies. I'm pretty sure we were one room away from getting kicked out. Brilliant!
Also through some great, cosmic excellence I happen to be in town the same time as the Dublin Fringe Festival and I saw a Fringe play that night in Dublin with Brid, her sister Maria, and her sister's friend.
Then yesterday I finally shook off the last of my jet-lag by sleeping until 4 pm! After that I was so rejuvinated I felt like I could fight the world! We spent the day just hanging around the house, and then in the evening we got some whiskey (because you know, Ireland) and did a little pre-drinking before meeting up with Gill (yay!) and another of Brid's friends and heading off to a real Irish pub! It was great; they even had barrels for tables! Yar! After drinking there for a few hours we went to a night-club, or as they say here a disco-club and did some dancing. It was really awesome, except people in the club were super pushy! I had to dance with my elbows out! So now today I'm shaking off my hangover and heading to meet up with Gill and spend the night with her.

No comments: