Monday, October 13, 2008

You take the Highlands...

Wow. That's just all there is to it: wow. After spending two days in Edinburgh seeing the sights and partying it up with the kids from the High Street hostel I did a two day "MacBackpacker" guided bus tour through the Scottish Highlands. Please excuse the following swearing but holy fucking shit is it ever goddam beautiful!!! We went through the mountains, to Loch Ness (no monster though, damn), walked in magical forests where faeries are supposed to live, climbed the hill that part of the Macbeth play takes place on, saw the town where golf was invented, saw the ocean, saw the largest river in all of Britain, and lots, lots more. It was two whirlwind, mind-boggling days of amazing Scottish beauty. All the while we were being guided by a delightful Scotsman named Neil. He told us jokes, stories, and lots of History lessons. Also, I fed a big, red Scottish bull named Hamish some potatoes. It was really cool!
On the trip I made friends with a little punkrocker from Colarado named Cliff and he and I pretty much hung out for the whole adventure. One really lovely happening was that the hostel we stayed at during the trip has this huge, stuffed shark. Cliff works at the High Street hostel in Edinburgh and apparently the shark keeps getting lifted back and forth between the tow hostels. So on the morning we left the highlands hostel Cliff chucked the shark out the window to me on the street below, and we took it back to Edinburgh. Good times! So now I can add "Shark theif" to my very impressive adventuring resume.
One of the coolest things we saw on the Highlands trip was this amazing ancient celtic ritual ground. It was very small and tucked in beside a creek and some gorgeous forestry. Their were these celtic carvings on the rock and a ceremonial bath-type thing. Sadly the History of that place is lost and we don't know the significance of any of it. What we do know, however, is that to this day people believe that faeries hang out in that area. All the trees were covered in beads and ribbons and pretty things that people have left as presents for the faeries. I took off one of the necklaces I was wearing and hung it on a tree for the faeries. It was an amazing place with a very surreal energy about it.
After the bus trip returned to Edingurgh I marched over to the bus station and hopped a bus back to Glasgow and spent the night at Pal and Lorenzo's place. Unfortunately Lorenzo's friend from Italy is coming to stay with the boys for a few days, so tonight I have to stay at a hostel. Depending on whether or not Symon and Susie are coming home sometime soon I might take off for England tomorrow, but if they're coming back soon then I'll wait because I'd like to see them again. Either way I have plenty of time to figure things out. Now I'm off to hunt down this amazing vegan restaurant that I've heard all about.

No comments: