Friday, November 7, 2008

Quelque-fois tu gagnes et quelque-fois Toulouse!

This will be a quick one, because I'm using a French keyboard and they're incredibly hard to write with... I can't possibly explain how much joy it brings me to come up with puns for the titles of my blog pages. I definitely blame my father's influence for that! So as you may have guessed, I'm now in Toulouse, France. Toulouse isn't super touristy, but I have no idea why because it's an absolutely gorgeous city with loads of canals, trees, and gardens. After being in Paris, Toulouse seems incredibly green and quaint; I really love it!
I arrived two days ago on the train, having very little idea as to what my host couple looked like because I only had a small photo to go off of. The couple is Marion and Thom, and they're very quirky, hip, and of the quintessential French nature. Marion met me at the train station and took me back to their flat, where I met Thom. They cooked a nice dinner for me and we spent the rest of the night chilling out and getting to know each other.
The next morning Marion went to school early and when I got up Thom gave me a map of the city and showed me some points of interest as well as telling me how to get around. I took the métro to just east of the centre-ville and began walking around. There weren't any sights I specifically wanted to see, I just wanted to get a feel for the city more than anything; and let me tell you, I felt this city up! I walked along the pont-neuf, which is the oldest bridge in Toulouse and goes over the huge river in the middle of the city. From there I found a few gorgeous little canals and spent at least an hour just following the canals and falling in love with the beauty of it all. I then found a petit café where I sat drinking café and eating a croissant. It was my second croissant of the day because between Marion's flat and the métro station I pass FOUR bakeries. Man is this place ever going to make me fat! After that I just walked all around the city and saw plenty of sites. Toulouse is a mix between quaint domestiles, large old buildings, lots of trees and greenery, and large roads. Unfortunately it kept raining on and off all day, occasionally in a huge storm, so I had to hide out from the rain a few times. So much for the gorgeous south-of-France weather- it's been raining since I got here! I bought some food for my stay here and eventually made my way back for another night of cooking and hanging out.
Then today I experienced much the same kind of day, only with less rain. I found the gorgeous city gardens and walked around them for quite awhile. I also went to another supermarché and got train-snacks for tomorrow, because on my train ride over here I was starving and had nothing to eat. (note, train seat cushions do NOT taste good, nor are they nutritious). I'm now spending another quaint evening inside. My visit so far has been incredibly lovely, and I've really enjoyed the hospitality of Marion and Thom. Tomorrow afternoon I'm going to take a train from Toulouse, France, to Barcelona, Spain, and then a whole new adventure begins!

No comments: