Sunday, November 23, 2008

Granada, de nada

¡Hola mi amigos! ¿Esta bien? Look at me I´m Spanish! And thus concludes two of the ten or so phrases I know in Spanish. Oh well, it´s a start.
¨So Kendall, tell us, where oh where are you staying in Granada?¨
Funny you should ask! I took the 5 hour bus ride to Granada on Thursday, and after some getting lost near the bus station I met up with my new host Paul (by far the coolest host yet!) and he walked me up to his cave. Oh yes, his cave. I am staying in one of the old, established, and insanely cool caves that are scattered in the mountains beside Granada. It´s a gypsy cave and is pretty much the best thing I´ve ever seen in my life. On the mountain there are the gypsy caves, the hippie caves, the punk rock caves, and the squatter caves. From Paul´s cave we have a view of the entire city and the mountains surrounding it. So happy.
The night I arrived we just hung out in the cave, cooked dinner, drank wine, got to know each other. Then we did a bit of night-time mountain adventuring and walked around the mountain. The next morning we sat on Paul´s yoga mat and looked at the landscape, while eating for breakfast the biggest mango I´ve ever seen in my life. I´m crazy obsessed with the mangos here and their giant deliciousness! After that we walked down to the local market, I met lots of Paul´s friends (people here are friendly beyond belief). The market has the most amazing selction of fresh fruits and vegetables, and I have been eating like a very healthy vegetarian king since I arrived. After returning to the cave for lunch we walked up to this giant old morroccan wall and climbed up to it to sit and watch the sunset over Granada. It was mind-blowingly beautiful, and made it easy to understand why sunsets are treated like a daily national holiday in this part os Spain. On our way back to the cave we heard accordian music and tracked it to the source: a group of hippies having a random jam-session outside their cave. In Granada all you need to do to join strangers in their activites is walk over to them, so we were made welcome and sat around listening to flamenco guitar and accordian for a while. That night we drank a bunch of wine and then met up with Paul´s friends to go out for my first time to the famous Granada Tapas bars. The bars are crazy cheap and every drink you order comes with a little appetizer. Yay!
Yesterday we went walking through one of the neighbouring mountains to this little mountain-side tea shop, where this cool old hippie man makes amazing loose leaf tea for cheap. I am so spellbound with this place it´s ridiculous! After that we went walking around the city part of Granada for a bit and went to another tapas bar and a bar where Paul´s friend works, before retiring to the cave for late dinner and an early night. Today we started the day drinking green tea and doing yoga in view of all the mountains around us. It was glorious and left em with a deep sense of bodily contentment and spiritual satisfaction. Then we went and climbed this 1000 metre-or-so mountain (rough work, that!) and were awarded with yet another delicious view. The landscape changes so much depending on which mountain you´re on, it´s a real treat. After a hearty dinner we walked down to the city and I´m now at an internet cafe trying to recap all the glorious adventures I´ve had so far. Paul´s agreed to let me stay for a full week here instead of my original 3 day plan, but I want to stay forever, because I´ve found hippie heaven!

No comments: